I don’t have to tell you that water pumps can be noisy little beasts. You already know that. But not all of them are equally noisy.
So purchasing a quieter water pump right at the start of your journey is super-important. If you’ve messed up already and bought a loud water pump, check out my article on how to soundproof a water pump.
But let’s assume you didn’t make that mistake and that you’re ready to buy a quiet model. In that case you’ll find this article extremely useful because I’ve outlined the best quiet water pumps for RVs and motorhomes.
Not only are these water pumps quiet, but they’re also thermally protected and powerful enough that you don’t have to worry about their performance at all. I’ve also taken their price into consideration and sorted out the best ones within a certain price range.
So I’m happy to present you with the nominees.
4 Best Quiet Water Pumps for RV
It’s no wonder that this pump is a best seller on Amazon with over 1200 reviews.
It’s a quiet, reliable AND affordable water pump that has been in action for a couple of years now.
Many users have commented positively on the quiet operation that’s been a huge upgrade on their older models.
Important stuff you should know:
- 12 VDC, 3.0 GPM, 55 PSI, and 7.5 Amps
- It’s a self-priming water pump with internal bypass-low cycling
- Clever engineering and thick insulation ensure quiet performance and thermal protection
- It can run dry without damage, plus it contains a built-in check valve
- Dry primes to 6 vertical feet
- Dimensions in Inches/Millimeters – 4.9″ x 8.1″ x 4.3″ [125 x 206 x 110 mm]
- 2 year warranty
Now, some of this is technical jargon, but what can you expect from this pump in action? Well, it can pump 3 gallons of water per minute to sinks, toilets, showers and any other water outlet you have in your RV, at 55 PSI (pounds per square inch).
The best part about this pump aside from quietness is the low energy expenditure. This performance is possible at 7.5 Amps from an onboard 12 VDC (volts DC) power source. Speaking of power sources, you might also be interested in checking out the quietest portable power generators for RV.
Another positive is the ease of installation, since it can be mounted in any position and has simple plug-in installation ports that are easy to reach for.
The major reason for water pump noise is not the motor performance itself, but the vibrations caused by it on the surrounding material. This pump employs thick insulation to prevent this from happening. It still vibrates somewhat, but this is unavoidable.
So this is my number #1 water pump recommendation for regular RV and motorhome users. For a pump that is under 100 bucks, it’s certainly worth the price in my opinion. The last time I checked there was also a 20% discount on Amazon.
So if you’re interested, check out the current price, reviews and more info on Amazon.
#2 Flojet Quiet Quad Water System Pump, 3GPM, 12V – Best Under $80
However, while the maximum flow rate is 0.3 gallons higher than the previous model, the pressures it lower, and can go up to 35 PSI (in comparison with 55 PSI).
So if you value higher pressure a lot, I would still go with the SHURFLO pump.
Other important features:
- Self-primes up to 2.4M vertical lift
- Intermittent duty, pressure-switch control to run the pump only as needed
- Four-piston design delivers higher flow rates
- Quick-connect plug-in ports for easy installation
These features are something you’d expect from a modern water pump, and I don’t see any stand-out features to point at. But the reason you’re here is because you want a QUIET water pump, and this is one area where this Flojet model dominates the competition.
Dozens of users have commented on how quiet this pump is. The reduced vibrations and the improved design coated with durable insulation is what’s making a big difference. The reduced cycles, similar to the mechanism found in SHURFLO model also plays a big part in making the operation as smooth as possible.
Similarly priced to the Shurflo model, it’s still slightly cheaper, so I suggest checking out the current price and reviews before you make your final decision.
#3 SEAFLO Variable Flow Water Pump w/ Bypass – Best Heavy-Duty Water Pump
This is the best water pump by Seaflo, and even the manufacturer admitted this on multiple occasions. Why is it the best? Well, it’s simply the power, quietness and a whole lot of other features that come into play.
Here are some features worth considering:
- Variable Flow With Bypass Technology For Reduced Cycling!
- Self-Priming And Capable Of Run Dry Operation
- 5.0 gallon per minute Variable Water Flow
- 60 PSI
- Max Amperage 17.0
- 4 year warranty
This water pump is designed to run on water systems with no accumulator tank. It’s also suited for holding tank water system, such as those found on boats, RVs and even remote cabins.
It’s also fitted with a built-in pulsation dampening bypass. This provides serious noise reduction by controlling unwanted cycling and noise.
Self-priming, able to run dry without damage and low current are all reasons why this is a top shelf water pump. Another positive worth pointing out is the built-in pressure switch, which automatically starts and stops the pump when the faucet is opened and closed.
-Max Flow: 5.0 – 5.5 GPM
-Electrical: 12 V DC
-Inlet: 1/2″ -14 MNPT / Outlet: 1/2″ -14 MNPT
-Weight: 5.5 lbs (2.5 kg)
The only downside is the price. This water pump costs slightly above $100. It’s still pretty affordable, but I’ve mentioned cheaper models in this list so it’s worth pointing that out. But if you want a stronger pump that’s super-quiet, this should be your #1 pick.
To see the current price and user reviews, click here.
#4 Portable Submersible Water Pump 12 V – Best Under $40
Here are some features that prove it:
- 10 L/min (2.64 gallons / min)
- water delivery of 5,5 m.(18.04 feet)
- Might be used for the aquariums as well as for supplying all types of clean water (fresh, well, rain, spring, drinking). It has hose diameter of 10 mm.(0.39 inches)
- can pump water from any water source which can come in handy when you’re camping.
- shockproof and water resistant
- lightweight construction ensures low vibrations and reduced noise
This 12 V DC water pump can be used for caravans, RVs, boats, trailers, motorhomes and other vehicles, and many people are doing exactly that.
But here’s some other important information provided by the manufacturer:
- This water pump requires a 12 volt direct current power source. It can be provided by an automobile battery, dry-cell batteries – 2*6 volt, constant current transformer, maximum non-smoothed current 14 volt. The permitted running cycle is 15 minutes running time, 15 minutes cooling time.
- The pump electrical connections are as follows: 2 core flat cable: +Black/White – White 2 core round cable: +Brown -Blue
- The water pump can be controlled by a switched tap, foot switch, diaphragm pressure switch, etc.
- It’s designed for water use only, at maximum temperature of 60°C. It’s hermetically sealed for maintenance free operation.
- Made from 100% Eco-friendly material that is non-toxic, odor and taste free.
- The water pump should be kept from freezing. For winter period remove from water tanks and disconnect. Carefully drain all water from the pump.
I have to admit that this water pump really doesn’t LOOK impressive. It looks really tiny and ineffective. But so many users are saying exactly that. They were extremely surprised how powerful it actually is. So don’t judge a book by its covers is all I’m saying.
This is the most affordable quiet water pump on the list. It’s not as powerful as the other ones but considering the size and the price, it’s a pretty good deal. Just depends on what your priorities are, price, water pressure.. etc.
You can check out the current price and user reviews on Amazon by clicking here.
How to reduce water pump noise
There are many quiet water pumps for vehicles and mobile homes. The noise they produce is typically the result of vibrations. For that reason I also recommend placing the water pump on a thick and soft material that can absorb the vibrations.
Anti-vibration pads are commonly used for this purpose and they’re quite effective. I recommend using this anti-vibration pad because it’s thick and made of water and oil resistant rubber material. Hope this helps!