Top 10 Quiet Vacuums in 2022: Tested Reviews!
Your vacuum cleaner is probably the noisiest member of your household. Well, except when the mother-in-law comes to visit. Joking aside, there are important reasons why it’s beneficial to have a quiet vacuum cleaner:
- sucking up dust will no longer annoy the neighbors
- vacuum whenever you want without waking up your sleeping baby or your significant other
- it’s far more pleasant to vacuum when your ears aren’t in agony
Luckily there are many new vacuums that are quieter than anything we’ve heard before. The sound that these models produce does not exceed 70 dB and in some cases it’s closer to 60 dB. This is a significant upgrade from the typical 80 dB or louder vacuum cleaners we’ve been used to hearing for years.
So I’ve made a list of the best quiet vacuum cleaners on the market in 2018. I’ve compared 50 best selling vacuums, taking into consideration many factors, including: sound levels, price, stand-out or missing features, overall quality, user reviews, warranty, customer service and much more.
After doing this, I’ve nit-picked the best 2 or 3 vacuums in 4 different categories.
So I think that this list will make your life much easier in picking your new favorite sucker in the house.
Understanding decibel levels
Standard decibel range for vacuum cleaners is 78 to 85 dB. The vacuums that are designed for quiet function are in the 60-70 dB range.
It may seem like a few decibel points is not a big deal, but it really is. Decibels are measured on a logarithmic scale. What does that mean exactly? It means that a reduction in only 3 decibel points lowers the sound in half! And vice-versa.
Here is decibel level chart for different appliances and activities, so you can judge it for yourself.
Decibel levels are measured with a decibel meter. These are relatively inexpensive and simple to use and if you’re interested in becoming a soundproofing junkie it’s a must-have tool. Simply turn it on and it will take accurate measures of the noise level surrounding it.
Upright vs Canister Vacuum Cleaner – Which vacuum type is quieter?
Canisters are usually quieter, and here’s why:
Upright vacuums tend to have larger motors. Also, the motor on the upright vacuum is further away from the ground, so the sound resonates more into the environment. And they usually have either a motorized or electronic brush, both of which add additional noise.
One upside to upright models is their more affordable pricing, with some pretty good vacuums costing between $100-$200, while canister vacuums of the same quality typically cost between $200-$300.
Canister vacuums on the other hand have smaller motors and they’re lighter. The motor is also closer to the ground, so the sound is confined to a smaller area.
Electrolux Silent-Performer (link to Amazon) is the quietest canister and overall vacuum cleaner. Tests with a decibel meter have shown that it produces 61-62 dB, which is really quiet. You can read more about this vacuum down below.
Quietest Upright Vacuum Cleaners
1. Sanitaire Quiet Upright 2 Speed Vacuum Cleaner
This is a no nonsense vacuum cleaner. It’s a bit heavy, but it cleans like CRAZY. Numerous users have commented how it worked magic on their dirty carpets and sucked all the dust and dirt out.
Here are the main features:
- 7 Amps of power
- Disposable dust bag; shake-out bag system
- 50-Foot Quick change power cord
- Ideal for larger homes and for perfect cleaning without having to move over the same area twice
- 2 Year warranty
- NORMAL & QUIET CLEAN MODE
One customer mentioned that when the vacuum is running in quiet mode their 3 year old son still stays asleep in the same room.
To check out the customer reviews and pricing (it’s on a big discount at the moment that I’m writing this, perhaps it still is) of this quiet vacuum on Amazon click here.
2. Shark Rotator Professional Upright Corded Bagless Vacuum for Carpet and Hard Floor
This Shark vacuum is a bit cheaper than Sanitaires, but it still provides excellent suction in a quiet manner. Here are some of its main features:
- 2 Vacs-in-One: No Loss of Suction Upright & LiftAway Pod
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology + HEPA
- Rotator Technology Enhanced Swivel Steering and better deep carpet cleaning
- Power nozzle with LED headlights
- 30 foot long power cord
- Lightweight & Ultra-Quiet Operation
- 5 year warranty
This vacuum is also lighter than Sanitaires at 15.5 lbs, so you may find it more useful if you don’t like dragging a heavy vacuum upstairs or carrying it downstairs.
The quiet performance is where it’s at, and that’s the main reason I’ve placed it on this list.
Unfortunately it’s been getting some bad reviews lately from customers, mainly about the 5 year warranty which seems to be a fluke. Well, I was personally surprised because 5 years is a loong time.
Whether this sudden set of bad reviews is just a coincidence or an attack from a major competitor remains to be seen. The vacuum still holds an average 4/5 stars rating on Amazon so it’s worth checking it out to form your own opinion.
3. Shark Navigator Professional Upright Vacuum for Carpet and Hard Floor
This little beast of a vacuum is more affordable and seems to be more reliable than the Shark Rotator. It’s also really quiet and lightweight (13 lbs), so you will have no trouble moving it down or up the stairs if needs be.
These are the main features:
- Lift-Away. Press a button to lift the canister away and easily clean hard-to-reach areas.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology + a HEPA filter. Traps 99.9% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum.
- Swivel Steering. Excellent control for maneuvering around furniture. Dust Cup Capacity: 1.2 dry quarts
- Large-capacity, easy-to-empty dust cup. Extended cleaning without interruption
- What’s Included: (1) Pet Power Brush, (1) Dusting Brush, (1) 5.5 inch Crevice Tool
It’s getting excellent reviews with 70% of customers rating it at 5 stars. Not much more needs to be said. If you need a good lightweight vacuum that can clean hard floors and carpets effectively this is the one.
It doesn’t have any “quiet mode” but even on regular setting it’s quieter than regular vacuums as you can see mentioned by many users who compared it with their old models.
To check out more information about Shark Navigator vacuum on Amazon, click here.
Quietest Canister Vacuum Cleaners
1. Electrolux Silent-Performer
This is by all information the quietest vacuum currently available (other than small robotic vacuums of course).
These are the main features:
- Silence Pro System for Quiet Performance – the reported noise level of less than 65 dB shows that it’s the quietest vacuum on the market.
- Clean-Air Filtration System for Allergen Absorption – great if you or your family members are allergic to dust, mites and other common environmental allergens. The HEPA filter collects 99,97% of all airborne polutants that are 0,3 micron or larger.
- 360⁰ Motion Technology for Easy Maneuverability – this feature makes it easier to dust around furniture
- Powerful Multisurface Cleaning – this vacuum has a double nozzle that was specifically made to dust carpets and other difficult surfaces without any problems. It also makes the transition from carpet to regular floor surfaces while vacuuming easy. This is a huge advantage when compared to regular vacuum cleaners.
- 3-in-1 Cleaning Tool – crevice tool, dusting brush and upholstery nozzle all in one make this vacuum very versatile without needing to change parts or buy new ones.
- Easy Access to Dust Bag and Filter
- Speed Control Switch
This vacuum has a 21 foot long cord which is also quite impressive.
What more can be said? If these features sparked your interest, check out the customer reviews and price of Electrolux Silent-Peformer on Amazon.
2. Miele Compact C1 Pure Suction Canister Vacuum
This product of German engineering is one of the most popular vacuums at the moment. It’s been getting excellent reviews exactly because it’s quiet and reliable.
On top of that it has the 360 degree motion technology just like Electrolux, making it easier to vacuum in small spaces and around furniture.
Here are some other important features:
Suction Control – 6 different levels that you can set for optimal cleaning performance. Each level is also quieter or louder than the other so you can adjust the power and the volume according to your needs.
Easy to clean carpets with – This vacuum has a foot switch that makes it easier to switch from hard floor and carpet. There is also the metal sole plate for easier gliding across the surface.
Doesn’t leave marks on the floor – Gliding the vacuum across the floor can scratch the floor. But not with Miela Compact, due to the rubberized wheels.
Additional Accessories – this vacuum comes with attachable dusting brush, upholstery tool and crevice tool. All three make it easier to clean hard-to-reach places.
Long cord – the cord and the stainless steel wand together create a 29.5 feet long cleaning radius. If you attach one of the accessories it makes it even longer. So you’ll definitely be able to reach that ceiling fan or above door air vent with this Miela vacuum.
So as one user wrote, this vacuum SUCKS! And that’s actually a good thing when it comes to vacuums so we’re on the right track. This vacuum as I’m writing this is currently on a serious discount, almost 40% on Amazon! Feel free to check out the reviews and the price of this quiet Miela vacuum at the moment.
3. Severin Germany Bagless Canister Vacuum Cleaner
This is another great German vacuum cleaner, and more affordable than the previous two. It’s currently on a large discount, plus it’s bagless so you save money on that as well.
Having said that, it’s still a powerful little vacuum cleaner with HEPA filter and it does a great job getting rid of common allergens.
- Low-noise and high suction performance thanks to advanced Multi-Cyclone technology. Able to clean properly carpets and hard floors.
- contains HEPA filter– the air blown out is cleaned by filtering up to 99.95% (H13) or 99.995% (H14). The air sucked is nearly 100% free of household dust, pollen, dust mite allergens, mold, spores and odors.
- Comes with a variety of tools: XL parquet nozzle – for all types of hard floors, 3-part accessory set: upholstery / furniture /crevice nozzle in a practical cloth bag, 35” long telescopic tube and 6’ XL Premium suction hose.
- It’s a real money saver as no bags are required and the vacuum comes with an efficient, lifetime filter. Vacuum waste is held in a container and it can be emptied by a press of a button.
Definitely a decent choice. The noise rating is 77 dB but we have to take into account the dBA (perceived noise) as well. Due to its clever design, the sound is confined to a smaller area which makes this vacuum quieter than a 77 dB upright vacuum cleaner for example.
You can check out the current price and reviews on Amazon by clicking here.
Quietest Cord-Less Vacuum Cleaners
1. tineco A10 Hero Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, LED Power Brush
Some sci-fi fans love stick vacuum cleaners. I’m one of them. They just look cool and they don’t take up much space for storage. This is one of the quietest stick vacuums that also other great features:
- Fade-free High Power: 350 W DIGITAL MOTOR supports quiet, powerful 110-watt suction in MAX mode, and suction never fade as battery capacity goes down, continuously provide a deep, thorough cleaning without annoying.
- Maneuverable: main unit weighting only at 2.87 lbs, plus FULL-SIZE MOTORIZED BRUSH and 3 accessories, seamlessly customize your vacuum to tackle your specific cleaning needs including floors, counter-tops or vehicle interiors.
- Detachable: REMOVABLE LITHIUM BATTERY, gives you freedom to upgrade the running time with additional battery (separately sold), and directly charge the battery when and where you want.
- User-friendly: comes with an easy-to-clean dustbin, battery LED indicator lights, switch lock, easy-to-empty dustbin, hygienic HEPA Filtration that captures 99.99% particles, and many more user-friendly features.
- What’s included: additional to the machine, you can also get full-size LED power brush, docking station, mini power brush, 2-in-1 dusting brush, crevice tool , charging adapter
- 2-Year Warranty
This stick vacuum is also pretty versatile, and it can be used to clean under the bed, sofa or high places like ceiling corners and fans. It’s pretty light, so even if you don’t have Mr. Olympia muscles it’s still not a big deal. To check out customer reviews and current price on Amazon click here.
2. Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner, BH50010
With over 9000 customer reviews, this Hoover vacuum is one of the most popular vacuums EVER. It’s affordable and provides a decent level of suction quietly.
Here are the main features:
- LINX Cordless Fade-Free Lithium-Ion Battery System – Interchangeable batteries provide cordless freedom to clean anywhere
- WindTunnel Technology – Creates channels of suction to lift and remove surface debris and deeply embedded dirt
- Extreme Recline Handle – Reaches under furniture for easier access without having to move things around
- Edge Cleaning Bristles – Removes dirt, dust and pet hair up against those hard-to-reach edges
- Fuel Gauge -Indicates remaining battery life. Refer user manual for troubleshooting steps. Dirt Path : Center Dirt Path. Dry Nozzle Brush Type : Motorized Brushroll
- Multi-Floor Cleaning – Transitions from carpet to hard floors with ease
- 2-Year Warranty
Considering the amount of users of this vacuum, the user experiences are mixed to a large degree. Some people absolutely love this Hoover vacuum, while others ran into trouble with the battery system and with some parts braking down on them. But in that case, there’s always the 2 year warranty to solve the problem.
Overall, I favor the previous vacuum, tineco A10 Hero, over this Hoover vacuum because it’s considered more durable and a bit quieter as well.
Quietest Robot Vacuum Cleaners
1. eufy Boost IQ Super Quiet, Self-Charging Vacuum Cleaner
Tired of bending over just to suck some dust off the floor? Why not leave it to a robot instead while you read your favorite novel or watch a TV show instead.
You’ll certainly be able to do it because eufy Boost is a SUPER QUIET robotic vacuum. It also got noticed as the “best robotic vacuum of 2018” by Digital Trends.
He’ll take care of the dust and dirt in a quiet and efficient manner. Plus he’s self-charging so you don’t even have to worry about that. So if you’re super busy throughout the day this affordable robotic vacuum can definitely come in handy.
Here are some other noteworthy features:
- Re-engineered to be the slimmest RoboVac (2.85″) but with quiet operation and increased suction at 1300Pa for up to 100 minutes of constant, powerful suction.
- BoostIQ™ Technology: Automatically increases suction power within 1.5 seconds when extra vacuuming strength is needed to get the best clean.
- Premium Features: Anti-scratch tempered glass-top cover for protection, infrared-sensor for evading obstacles, and drop-sensing tech to avoid falls. Automatically recharges so it’s always ready to clean.
- What You Get: RoboVac 11S, remote control (2 AAA batteries included), charging base, AC power adapter, cleaning tool, extra set of high-performance filters, 4 side brushes, 5 cable ties, welcome guide
- 12-month warranty
This vacuum can be used on basically any floor, including: low-pile carpet, tile, laminate, and hardwood floors. But it’s not suitable for high-pile carpet or very dark-colored floors.
With the average 4.6 out of 5 star rating by customers, it’s hard to go wrong by purchasing this robotic vacuum cleaner or one of it’s quiet competitors.. And if you have never tried this new technology, it will certainly be an interesting experience not having to think about vacuuming as its done by your mechanical servant.
Check out eufy Boost vacuum on Amazon by clicking here.
2. Deenkee Self-Charging & Super Quiet Automatic Vacuum Cleaner
With a mop and water tank attachment, plus a super quiet performance, this is another top class robotic vacuum. Here are some cool and unique features of this quiet vacuum:
- ✔High Efficiency: Focus on picking up the dirt, pet hair, dust, short hair, allergens, etc. This robot cleaner applies for carpets, hardwood, tile and linoleum floors.
- ✔Easy operation: Vacuum cleaning controlled by remote control, or auto clean all at one button.Slim shape design to clean under beds, sofa where dirt hides.
- ✔Premium Features: Smart sensors for anti-collision and avoid dropping. Amazing climbing ability allow it to get across 15mm height places to clean more areas.
- ✔Intelligent: the Timing, scheduling, auto cleaning, edge cleaning, Zigzag cleaning is designed to meet different needs.4 hours charge and 100 minutes battery working time. Self-charging when the battery runs low.
- ✔Guarantee: One Year Warranty and 30 days unconditional return.
- 7/24 customer service and technical support.
This is another highly rated robotic vacuum cleaner and a direct competitor to eufy’s model. The price is also just about the same, hoovering around $200.
To check out customer reviews and current pricing on Amazon click here.
Purchasing a vacuum cleaner is a big deal. There are many ways to make a mistake. Too large, too small, not enough power, too loud.. etc.
But one thing that no one will complain about is that their vacuum cleaner is TOO QUIET. And that’s really the stand-out feature of the models on this list – they’re quieter than regular vacuum cleaners.
So I hope you find your perfect vacuum cleaner on this list and have a good time making your home or work space perfectly vacuumed.